Sunday 17 January 2010

A WALK ALONG THE MEDWAY SUNDAY 17 JAN



A very blurred Green Sandpiper


Blackheaded Gulls and Lapwing


More Blackheaded Gulls and Lapwing


First view of the pools formed by rapid ice thaw




Can you see a Shoveler in the background Warren


Not perfect but i like this Wren Picture


Above and below the near overflowing Medway



Today I set off along the Medway at 07.45. The sky was clear and not as cold as the weatherman had predicted.   The river looked like it was boiling in places caused by the under currents, better not get too close, I cant swim!  I didnt think today was going to be too good but as I walked I was soon proved wrong.  I looked across the fields and great water pools had formed due to the rapid ice thaw and on those pools were dozens of Black Headed Gulls and Lapwing.  In amongst all this was a lone Green Sandpiper which always exciting to see this also prompted a quick call on the mobile to Warren Pittswood birds Baker to confirm my sighting. As I was scanning the Black Headed Gulls looking for a Common Gull in the background I saw a Shoveler, so this is where I stood for most of my time out this morning hoping that another species or two might drop in. Alas not to be but it was  very enjoyable watching all those birds feeding, I also did not think I would rack up 40 species today either.  On the way back to the car I spotted a Kingfisher flying away from me up the Medway I hope to get some nice pictures of this bird on future walks. Below is my species list for today.
BLACK HEADED GULL
MAGPIE
WOOD PIGEON
HERRING GULL
 COLLARD DOVE
ROBIN
GOLD FINCH
BLUE TIT
FIELDFARE
CARRION CROW
STARLING
SONG THRUSH
LONG TAILED TIT
GREAT TIT
GREENFINCH
CORMORANT
GREY LAG GOOSE
BLACKBIRD
BULLFINCH
MOORHEN
PHEASANT
HERON
DUNNOCK
LAPWING
MUTE SWAN
GREY WAGTAIL
WREN
MALLARD
SNIPE
GREEN SANDPIPER
SHOVELER
MISTLE THRUSH
REED BUNTING
GREEN WOODPECKER
GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER
STOCK DOVE
JAY
YELLOW  HAMMER
CHAFFINCH
KINGFISHER

3 comments:

  1. Good day then Dave. Yes I can see the Shoveler!

    PS did you mean to write Green Sandpiper under the first Photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out Warren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done Parus me ole mate! See its quite easy to do isn't it. Yes Mate

    ReplyDelete