Thursday 11 February 2010

WALK BY THE MEDWAY SUNDAY 7 FEB

This Moorhen was very hard to find today so I had to take a pic



Above and below a Treecreeper








Black headed Gulls perched on the gas storage tanks

I should have been walking around OXONHOATH today but alas too many bird scarers blasting away.
Set off along the Medway at 7.45 this morning, the sky being very overcast not good for taking pictures.  As I walked a Green Sandpiper flew up the river calling as it went, it had been disturbed by a dog. On the other bank the Swans were feeding . There were plenty of nice views of Bullfinches but no chance of taking a picture as they were perched to deep in the bushes or to far away. I spent most of the walk chasing a Treecreeper around. I  also noticed the high pitched call of Meadow pipits, I'me sure they have been here on my previous visits I just havn't noticed them, but at least they are on my list today.  When I arrived back at Canon Lane bridge I stood there for a while looking for a Kingfisher.  It wasn't long before I noticed a splash and that lovely blue flash as it dived for a fish.  I hope I can get a nice picture sometime, its got to be everybodys favorite bird. Plenty of Gulls sitting on the gas storage tanks so I snapped a picture of a couple of Black Headed gulls, you can see they are coming into there summer plumage. Tody I listed 38 species, not bad for a two hour walk.

Songthrush
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Green Finch
Long Tailed Tit
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Collard Dove
Black Headed Gull
Wood Pigeon
Robin
Magpie
Great Tit
Wren
Cormarant
Mallard
Mistle Thrush
Gold Finch
Green Sandpiper
Grey Lag Goose
Herring Gull
Green Woodpecker
Bull Finch
Chaffinch
Dunnock
Kestrel
Carrion Crow
Mute Swan
Sparrowhawk
Jay
Pheasant
Meadow Pipit
Fieldfare
Starling
Treecreeper
Snipe
Stock Dove
Moorhen
Kingfisher

Next week Leeds Castle with my good friend Julian, weather permitting.

1 comment:

  1. You did well with the Treecreeper Dave, a hard bird to photograph - especially in the dull light.

    ReplyDelete